What are the dos and don’ts of ICAS Mathematics preparation?
Before starting preparations for ICAS mathematics exam, you should keep some important points in mind. These are the don’ts of the exam and they can help in your mathematics preparations.
Let’s start making a quick exam guide with don’ts. There are 10 papers from A to J and the level of questions varies from one set to another.
- Students are asked to follow the manual process of calculation without using calculators. Any type of calculating machine isn’t allowed in the exam center.
- Formal algebra isn’t included in the test and for this reason, there is no need to practice questions related to formal algebra.
- Formal geometry isn’t a part of mathematics assessment.
Do’s for the assessment test
- Papers A to E contain questions of algebra with emphasis on pattern, structure and puzzles.
- Papers F to J assess familiarity with conventions of algebra.
- Paper E contains questions related to formal geometry and remaining papers have questions related to spatial skills.
Papers F to J require familiarity with some conventions of geometry.
Other important points to remember for mathematics preparation
- Algebra and patterns
- Chance and data
- Measures and units
- Number and arithmetic
- Space and geometry
The biggest thing to remember is that it is only an assessment test and its result has nothing to do with your academic studies. The objective of the test is to determine mathematical skills and level of knowledge of the students. There will be no difficulty in preparing for mathematics, if you do a systematic study. You should start with previous year papers.
What is the advantage of sample papers?
The result of the sample paper would show how prepared are you for the real test. You will see how your preparations are going and whether you need making any changes in your study pattern. You can keep solving the previous year papers to keep a check over your preparations.
Is coaching necessary for ICAS exam?
It is an added advantage. An experienced tutor can prepare a detailed study plan and make sure that you follow the plan. Also, the tutor will plan tests to check your preparation and progress. It can be said that passing the exam would be easier with tuition.